Monday, August 8, 2022

#267 Back to the Track

This morning I did something that I haven't done in nearly ten years: I went to the track to run a workout. Part of my huge gap in workouts at the track is that I haven't done much serious running since my college career ended. I did start training for a 25k while I was in seminary, but I got hurt about six weeks into that training plan, and all the speed work I did during that time was on the road. I also ran a halfway decent 10k back in 2019, but I wasn't willing to drive to the next town to do some track work. Most of my running has been more about staying active than preparing for a race. But now, at last, it's time to get serious again. I've got my sights set on a half marathon the second Saturday in October, and there's a track only about a mile from my house. So today I ran four 800m repeats with roughly equal rest. Today's workout went well. My 800s were a challenge, but I hit my goal and basked in the satisfaction of a completed workout—even if my legs felt like Jell-O during the cool down. I've put in some miles to lay a foundation over the first couple months of summer. Now it's time to start building things up. Hopefully I'll have good news to report in the October 10 blog.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment