Monday, March 9, 2020

#167 When Missing Out Is Somehow Encouraging

First, a quick Mia update if you need one: Mia is making progress. She's slowly learning to eat more and more on her own, and she weighs about 5 lb. now. For now, she's still in the NICU, but graduation day is getting closer.

With Mia being down in Des Moines and Tess and I staying with her, I haven't been doing a whole lot of work for the last month. The council and congregation at Kanawha CRC have been very gracious to me. At this point I'm really only preaching, since I can write a sermon from Des Moines and then just go back to Kanawha Saturday evening through Sunday afternoon. Tess and I are extremely grateful for everyone's patience and prayers.

While not having as many work responsibilities takes quite a bit of weight off my shoulders, I am finding that I miss my regular ministry work. I've been able to make a few phone calls, but I miss doing real, in-person visits. I miss hanging out with middle schoolers and high schoolers on Wednesday nights. I miss my regular trips to the nursing home and all the unplanned interactions with neighbors and community members around town. I find it really encouraging that my unplanned break from work hasn't been this huge relief. Instead I've been reminded how much I enjoy ministry. Even though I'm not doing a lot of work right now, I still feel affirmed in my calling. Returning to full-time work will be one more thing to look forward to when we all finally come home.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment