Saturday, February 10, 2018

#73 Banner Time

My denomination, the Christian Reformed Church, publishes a monthly magazine called The Banner. I try to read The Banner each month, but I often get behind. Last week I was able to catch up by reading a few issues while on vacation. My binge reading reminded me of the following reasons why I read The Banner:

  • Pastoral ministry can be a lonely experience. Since I spend so much time focused this congregation and community, it can also be an isolating experience. The Banner broadens my perspective by giving me stories of how Christ's church is working across the U.S and Canada and even around the world.
  • Witnessing for Jesus in our ever-changing culture is a challenging and sometimes discouraging task. The Banner often shares how congregations and their leaders are reaching out to their community in creative ways, which is a huge encouragment to me.
  • As Christians we are always seeking to better integrate our faith into our everyday lives, to worship God throughout the whole week. In The Banner, both pastors and lay Christians share their insights and challenge me to be more faithful in my walk with Christ.
  • The Banner gives me access to the opinions of some of my brothers and sisters who are wrestling with the same difficult subjects and controversial topics I am. I don't always agree, but reading their essays helps kickstart and/or deepen my thinking.
  • As a lifelong CRC member, I know a decent number of people from around the denomination. It's always a joy to read an article written by a dear friend of mine, such as this great article by Joella Ranaivoson (one of my seminary classmates) or this wonderful piece by Brian Clark (one of my college roommates).
In short, The Banner enables me to share and learn with my brothers and sisters across the denomination. I'm very grateful for that.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment