Monday, November 20, 2017

#63 The Death of Superman

I'm going to talk about superheroes this week. If you're not interested in reading about comic books and comic book movies, feel free to skip this post and come back next week. I won't be offended.

On Saturday Tess and I went to see Justice League. I told Tess that I have been waiting to see this movie since we walked out of the theater after seeing Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice on March 26, 2016. Even with the crushing weight of my anticipation and expectations, I really enjoyed the movie. I thought all the heroes were great and the action sequences were really cool. Most of all, I loved that Superman (to steal from Batman Begins) was "more than just a man" but rather a "legend." Superman was an inspiration, an ideal. As a Superman fan, I loved it. If you're at all interested in this sort of movie, check it out. The fact that I liked Justice League doesn't mean you will or have to like it, but I think you'll have fun.

Saturday was also the 25th anniversary of the release of Superman #75—the issue where Superman dies at the conclusion of his fight with the monster Doomsday. This story was a HUGE deal. It sold a ridiculous number of copies. Personally, I have a special connection to The Death of Superman storyline. As far as I can remember, I've always liked Superman, but The Death of Superman played a big role in making me a true Superman fan. When I was a teenager, I came across a trade paperback that collected the seven issues of the storyline, and I bought it almost on a whim. It was the first comic I'd ever owned, and I absolutely loved it. The action was intense and fast-paced, and there were also great emotional character moments, highlighting Superman's determination and Lois Lane's fear. Here was a true hero, a man who cared so much about the world that he would die to protect other people. (Side note: This heroic idea is also a big part of why I enjoy Batman v Superman so much.) I developed a ton of respect and admiration for the character of Superman. I wanted to know more and more about his adventures. The Death of Superman was my first real taste of Superman, and I was hooked. Thanks to some birthday money, my collection of Superman stories grows by a couple volumes each year. I've since found other stories that I enjoy even more than The Death of Superman, but that storyline will always be special to me because it showed me a whole new world. For a while now, Superman comics have been one of my favorite ways to unwind and recharge. So, twenty-five years later, I'm thankful for "the day that a Superman died."



Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment