Monday, March 27, 2017

#33 Color Commentary

March Madness is far and away my favorite yearly sporting event. Year after year I find myself sucked in by the drama of back-and-forth finishes, star performances, and amazing upsets. But this year has been even more special. This year I have Lanie to watch the games with me. She doesn't understand anything that's going on yet; in fact, I'm pretty sure she can't even see far enough to make out what's happening on the TV. But that doesn't matter, because her daddy is around to announce the game for her. I fill her in on big threes and huge dunks and crucial defensive stops. I explain the foolishness of risky passes, the beauty of patiently finding the open man, and the hope brought by key offensive rebounds. And most of all, I emphasize again and again the necessity of making free throws. You have to make your free throws. (Hopefully, if I repeat this enough to Lanie while she grows up, she'll just inherently know the importance of foul shots if she does decide to play hoops.) Lanie normally just looks at me while I provide my color commentary, but every once in a while she flashes a smile that suggest she enjoys it. I'll turn her into an expert yet.

Lanie enjoying Saturday's Elite Eight games with Daddy

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment