Monday, May 10, 2021

#217 Hometown Hunger

My hometown, Waupun, WI, is the only place in the world where I can get my favorite pizza. Tony's Pizza has been a Waupun staple for three generations. Outside of my own family's dishes, Tony's is the taste that makes me feel most at home. Tony's is not a pizza for the faint of heart. The crust isn't exactly thin, but it's not terribly thick. A generous layer of rich red sauce is slathered nearly to the edge. And then there's the cheese. If you've never had Tony's, picture the cheesiest pizza you've ever eaten. Now double that amount of cheese. (This is Wisconsin pizza!) The amount of cheese on this pizza should probably be measured in pounds, but it somehow doesn't drown out the taste of the sauce. Any toppings are distributed generously to complete the blend of flavors. The whole thing is cooked to golden perfection, with the crust just beginning to crisp and the cheese on the edges just beginning to brown. Tony's is comfort food, filling every corner of your stomach. There are traditional pizza sizes, and then there's the party-size football. Look at this beauty:

The greatest works of art aren't framed -- they're eaten.
(Actual caption from the Tony's Pizza Facebook page.)

For me, piping-hot Tony's is pizza perfection. I try to get some whenever I'm back in Waupun. There's no taste like home.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment