Monday, April 19, 2021

#215 On Track

I've spent quite a few hours of my life at track meets. Before I was in high school I'd go along with my dad while he coached high school track and field. Then I ran track all through high school and college. I always enjoyed track, but cross country was my true love. Especially in college some of the track meets just felt like they went on forever. We'd spend a full day or even parts of a few days at a meet as event after event after event went by. During those long spring days, a cross country meet with one women's race and one men's race sometimes sounded so nice.

But now it's been nearly nine years since my last track meet. I spent just a little time at a local high school meet a couple weeks ago, and I remembered all the good things about being at a meet with the team. Despite the long hours, there was always something going on, and usually at least one teammate could be cheered on. The grandstand nature of track added a little bit of nervousness as well as a dash of extra excitement as my own events approached and began. And during those stretches of down time, my teammates were always around. All that extra time made for a greater sense of community. Looking back, I have fond memories of dumb conversations we had on the bus, along the fence, in the infield, and over by the tent.  When the weather cooperates, I don't know that there's a place I'd rather spend a spring afternoon and evening. Now if you'll excuse me, I believe that somewhere a gun lap is just about to begin.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment