Monday, September 28, 2020

#189 Now What?

My job has changed a lot this year. (I know that's true for a huge number of people. I'm not here to claim that I have worse than everybody else. But I think there's some benefit to acknowledging our struggles and the pain they cause.) I spent about two months preaching to an almost empty sanctuary on Saturday evenings so we could make sure a video service was posted by Sunday morning. Now the congregation is gathering for the most part, but we're still missing a few of our members, and our worship services have been modified and slightly condensed. Those kinds of things are weird but not so bad.

The bigger change and the real struggle has come in the pastoral care part of my job. Church members used to gather in the basement for refreshments after Sunday morning worship, which gave me a chance to catch up with different people each week. Now we scatter pretty quickly. I used to visit church members in nursing homes and care facilities and in their own homes. Now I'm not allowed into buildings and many members are more comfortable if I don't come over. I've been trying to check in over the phone, but that's difficult and draining for me. I used to have some regular things that I did to be involved in my community and meet other people. But for now my normal activities have pretty much all gone away. I've always believed that meeting/visiting/caring for people inside and outside the church is vital and that it shapes how I preach and lead prayers. But lately I feel like I'm having to start all over, like I'm relearning everything about how to find and keep track of my people.

Right now I'm tired. I'm worn. Sometimes it seems like it's taking more effort to get less done. But I know that God has called me to this work, and I know that He is faithful. In the midst of all of this craziness I've had some really good conversations with church members and heard some wonderful stories of God's work in their lives. So I'm trying to endure. I'm trying to hold on to hope, to trust that God is in control, that He is present, that He brings healing and wholeness to our broken lives and our broken world. Come, Lord Jesus.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment