Monday, January 6, 2020

#157 New Year, Big Whoop

Full transparency: New Year's is probably my least favorite holiday. Some people live for New Year's celebrations. It would be hard for me to care less. Part of my trouble with New Year's is that it comes so close to Christmas, which I care way more about. I'm still in the middle of celebrating Christmas when we reach December 31 and January 1. I don't want to switch over to something else.

Also, New Year's comes at a weird time during our seasons, at least here in the northern U.S. Nothing really seems to change when the year does. Schools are halfway through their year at best. Winter still has a looooong way to go most years. Most of the major U.S. sports I follow are still going on: pro and college football are just wrapping up; basketball (both pro and college) and hockey feel like they're only just settling into their regular seasons. In my job as a pastor, thinking of the year starting around the beginning of December with Advent (the first season on the church calendar), makes a lot more sense: then the cycle of holidays and celebrations truly starts over.

Finally, I'm an introverted morning person. New Year's is not my cup of tea. Staying up until midnight is not out of the question for me; I do it on a semi-regular basis. However, after 9:00 pm or so I'm definitely not at my peak. Plus, I've been at a fair number of New Year's celebrations that are big gatherings with a bunch of people I don't really know. Meeting new people and being around a lot of people can be challenging enough for me. Doing that decently late at night is brutal. I may only be 28, but I feel too old for New Year's shenanigans. So when 2021 comes around, I'll probably be in bed, dreaming of more enjoyable (for me at least) holidays.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment