Monday, December 16, 2019

#155 12 Days

Dear non-Christian world,

I understand your desire to secularize Christmas. While I wish that you shared my belief in Jesus Christ, you don't. But you still want to celebrate and give gifts at the end of the year. I don't blame you for that. (Now since the holiday's name itself refers to Christ, no one should really talk about celebrating Christmas without believing in Christ Jesus, but we'll ignore that for now.)

However, I do have a complaint I'd like to file. You probably know about the so-called twelve days of Christmas, at least from that rather ridiculous song. Because that expression is so popular, companies and TV shows and the like love to have their own twelve-day celebrations in the days leading up to December 25th. But here's the thing: the twelve days of Christmas START on December 25th. Christmas Day is the beginning of what Christians historically intended to be a twelve-day celebration. (After all, the birth of the Savior and the miracle of God becoming human while still remaining divine deserve quite a bit of rejoicing and reflecting.) So, please stop using the twelve days of Christmas incorrectly. If you're going to take something incredibly important to our faith, strip it of its intended religious meaning, and use it for your own purposes, please at least use our terminology accurately.

Thanks for your time. I hope that you do have an enjoyable Christmas season. If you've got questions, please reach out to me or another Christian you know.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment