Monday, March 18, 2019

#122 Affirmation

A couple weeks ago I spent two days meeting with a group of pastors. We met to talk about how we can better function in our regional groups of churches, and those discussions were good. However, for me, the best part was the informal pastor-to-pastor conversations we had outside of our meetings.

Sometimes as I go about my job I feel like a very strange person. There aren't any other full-time employees at our church. Most of the people I talk to aren't pastors, so their work experiences are often very different than mine. Not a lot of other people make visits at nursing homes and hospitals for their jobs. Not too many others have Bible study and prayer as key parts of their employment. I spend quite a lot of time thinking about how Kanawha Christian Reformed Church can be a better church. I wouldn't say the other members of the church are unconcerned with that, but they have more additional concerns than I do.

So sometimes it's great to talk to other pastors. Talking to others who do similar work and think about similar things makes me feel like I'm not totally out of my mind. At this gathering I was the youngest and least experienced pastor in the room. The other pastors were very encouraging. They were quick to let me know when they thought I was asking the right questions or forming the right habits. They offered helpful tips from their own experiences. I came away feeling very affirmed and refreshed. Even if the rest of the meeting hadn't gone well, that would've made the whole trip worth it.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment