Monday, June 11, 2018

#89 Man of Steel

As I've mentioned before on this blog, this year is Superman's 80th anniversary, and, as a huge Superman fan, I will be celebrating by occasionally writing posts about Superman things. This week—the 14th to be exact—is the fifth anniversary of the film Man of Steel. My little sister, Molly, and I went to see a midnight IMAX showing of Man of Steel on its release date. (It's the only movie for which I've gone to a midnight premiere, and at this stage of my life, it probably will remain that way.) I'd spent months, if not years, getting excited for this film. Superman was back! But I was also pretty nervous. My all-time favorite movie is 1978's Superman: The Movie, and I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy Man of Steel nearly as much. In the end my fears were unfounded. I love Man of Steel. Let me tell you why.

First and foremost, the visuals of Man of Steel were incredible. Director Zack Snyder and company shot Superman in a way that made the movie look like a comic book come to life. The flying scenes, especially the scene where Clark Kent first learns to fly, are simply breathtaking. Watching the movie pulls me into this world to the point where I believe a man can fly, move at superspeed, see through walls, and perform incredible feats of strength.

Second, Hans Zimmer's score for the movie is fantastic. I'm a big Zimmer fan, and the music adds a lot of weight and emotion to the film. The theme that plays when Superman flies is easily my favorite.

Third, I think Henry Cavill makes a fantastic Clark Kent/Superman and Amy Adams is a terrific Lois Lane. Superman beams in peaceful moments of flying and responds to serious threats and challenges with appropriate seriousness. (I'm always a little bit thrown off by superheroes who show eerie permanent smiles as they fight for the safety of the world. People's lives are at stake here! Focus on the work at hand! [Maybe it's because my normal face is pretty neutral, not super smiley.]) Clark naturally wrestles with being different, but despite his parents' concern for his safety, he jumps into action to help others when anyone needs saving. When Superman springs into action, I feel the hope the movie is going for. Lois is a nearly fearless reporter who holds her own throughout the movie and plays a big role in saving the day. And Lois and Clark are wonderfully comfortable together.

Fourth, General Zod is a great villain. He's intimidating, calculating, and extremely powerful. What really makes his character work is that he truly believes he is right. Superman's physical struggle with Zod is big and memorable, but the ideological struggle is just as important.

Finally, I really enjoy the story of Man of Steel. The opening history on Krypton is exciting and crucial to the film. I find Clark Kent's journey to discover his identity very relatable. We learn about Clark's psychological vulnerabilities. We see how choosing to fight for Earth means standing up for people who largely view him with suspicion. We watch Superman face challenges way beyond anything he's ever encountered or even thought about and find a way to push through because that's what Superman does. Finally we see him reject the people of his home planet to do what's right and save innocent lives. That's a hero. That's Superman. I've watched Man of Steel more than any other movie since its release. I don't think I'll ever get sick of it.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment