Monday, May 21, 2018

#87 The Son Becomes the Father

I was born in 1991. That same year, Nintendo released the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). Pretty early on my dad bought a SNES and began playing Super Mario World. As I got older, I found this game fascinating, and, as little kids do, I wanted to join my dad in whatever he was doing. So Dad handed me the spare controller and let me push the buttons and bounce around. Then I really loved the SNES. Before long I was old enough to actually play, and I still enjoyed it. Even as I got older and the SNES grew more and more outdated, I continued playing and having fun. So I kept the SNES with me as I moved to college and then to seminary and then to Iowa. One day a couple months ago I hooked up the old SNES in the basement. Lanie sat and watched me play for a bit, but she didn't seem to care too much. Then last week she decided that the basement was the most fun place in our house. Day after day we went down to explore, and before long she found the SNES. So I turned it on and handed Lanie the spare controller. Suddenly she loved it. The past few days she's been asking me to play with her, so I let us play for about 10 minutes. (She normally loses interest by about then anyway.) Things have come full circle. If Lanie keeps enjoying herself and the old SNES hangs on, maybe we'll get to the point where we can really play together. Then we'll really have fun.

Grace and peace,
BMH

P.S. Look at how cute Lanie is!





No comments:

Post a Comment