Tuesday, May 8, 2018

#85 By the Slice

My little sister, Molly, graduated from my alma mater, Trinity Christian College, on Saturday. Congrats, Molls! While Tess and I were in the area, we made our usual stop at Nonna's Pizza in Crestwood. Nonna's claims to sell the world's largest pizza slice. (It's definitely huge, but I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical of that claim.) Now Nonna's is by no means the finest pizza on earth, but the pizza is big and doughy and hot, and I've always enjoyed it. Plus, Nonna's is open 24/7. When I was in college, a normal slice with drink and tax was $5. Nonna's was a college student's dream: lots of relatively cheap food available at any time. I devoured many, many slices of Nonna's over the course of my college career.

So whenever I'm in or driving through Chicagoland I make an effort to stop at Nonna's. My mom always rolls her eyes at me, and even Tess thinks I'm a little bit crazy, but I love Nonna's. As much as I do enjoy the pizza, it's more about the memories. One of the first nights my cross country teammates and I were at Trinity, we went to Nonna's. That was the first of many trips with my teammates and friends. We even convinced our coach to stop there after a meet one time. But that wasn't all. Tess and I would often split late-night slices. There always seemed to be Trin folks around on Thursday nights after Outcry (our praise and worship night). I made a lot of good memories over slices of Nonna's. Being around Trinity will always be a different now that I've graduated (and Nonna's itself has changed some), but when I stop at Nonna's I don't just get a slice of pizza, I also get a slice of my college life. And that's always worth it, even if the price is now $6.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment