Monday, December 4, 2017

#65 Stranger Magnet

My life has changed in a lot of ways since Lanie's birth. I spend a lot more time on the floor than I did before. I read the same books over and over and over. (And we still haven't reached the point where she can tell me which book she wants. Then I'll read an even smaller group even more often.) Things like leaving the house and getting into the care have become time-consuming processes. And strangers talk to me much more often.

I'm definitely still adjusting to that last one. Going out and about used to be a pretty quiet experience. Other than some polite chit-chat with cashiers and waiters/waitresses, I would shop and run errands without a whole lot of human interaction. Since I'm an introvert, I was happy to go about my business on my own. But when I bring Lanie to the grocery store or Walmart or out to eat, other people love to say hello to Lanie and ask me how old she is and tell me that she's very cute or sweet or happy. I know that Lanie loves the attention, and I enjoy the conversation, too. But I feel bad for the people who stop and talk to us. Most of my errands are run on Mondays, my day off. If you've ever been around me on a Monday, you've noticed that I can be pretty nonverbal. It's my recovery time. So these poor polite strangers often don't get a whole lot more than a startled look and a short answer from me. Hopefully the more Lanie and I get out, the better at replying I'll be. And if I remain awkward, well, at least I won't see most of these people again.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment