Monday, September 25, 2017

#55 Off to the Races

Today Tess and I took Lanie to her first cross country meet. It was a special experience. Just a hint of fall chill cut through the air, so we bundled Babes up in a jacket and socks to protect her from the wind. As we passed from the parking lot to the course, Lanie squealed with excitement. She smiled and chattered as the boys took off for their 5000m race. Then Lanie and I trekked across the golf course to find another good spot to watch. Lanie looked around in wonder, soaking in as much as she could. As the runners approached the mile mark, raindrops began gently falling. I made sure Lanie's hood stayed up and pulled her in closer, and Tess brought one of our umbrellas over. Sheltered from the rain, we kept moving and cheering for the rest of the race. Lanie never fussed or whined; she just basked in the experience. I'm pretty sure she had fun. I know I did. Maybe Lanie will take after her dad and compete in a few of these meets herself someday. Now that would really be fun.

Grace and peace,
BMH

P.S. Happy birthday to Christopher Reeve, who would have been 65 today. I was born 13 years after Superman, but I clearly remember the first time I saw the movie. Reeve truly made me and many others believe a man could fly.


No comments:

Post a Comment