Monday, September 11, 2017

#53 Excitement Around Every Corner

Almost everyday, Lanie and I eat lunch together. After strapping her into the high chair, I reach into the cupboard and pull out a tub of squash or peas or something like that and show it to Lanie. Once she realizes what's happening, she starts beaming. An enormous smile takes over her face. Pure happiness lights up her eyes. She makes satisfied noises as she gobbles up spoonful after spoonful. Sometimes she gets too excited and flails her arms with joy, inadvertently splattering a glob of food everywhere. I like to eat, but Lanie is on a whole other level. Who knew someone could be so ecstatic about vegetables? And bland, mushy vegetables at that.

But that's Lanie's life. Excitement is always around the corner. She squeals when I make animal noises as I bounce her toys around. She giggles when I drop out of sight and pop back up again. She grins from ear to ear when I make a whispering sound by her ear. She babbles blissfully when she finds some part of me to gnaw on. She does a happy dance when I come home.

One of my biggest flaws is that I think too much. Another is that I struggle with showing emotion. Lanie doesn't have those flaws—at least not yet. And even when I'm exhausted or preoccupied or overwhelmed, her joy is infectious. She just makes me happy. Who knows? Maybe after a continual stream of lunches and lazy Mondays with Lanie, I'll learn to think a little less and smile a little more. After all, there's no shortage of things to be excited about.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment