Monday, February 6, 2017

#26 Pitch Imperfect

I spend more time with Lanie than anybody but Tess. Lanie sleeps through a lot of our time together, which is fine. Sleeping Lanie is just as adorable as awake Lanie and cuddles up to me even better. But having Lanie awake and alert is even more fun. While she stares at me with her big blue eyes, I rock her back and forth and walk and dance around with her. I talk to her about things that are going on around us and tell her stories from my life. And, something that I didn't expect, I sing to Lanie. A lot. I'm not really sure where it comes from. I'm normally pretty self-conscious about my singing, but when I'm with Lanie, I break into song again and again. Sometimes I make things up on the spot; other times I take a familiar song like "Sweet Caroline" and reshape into something more baby-friendly, like "Sweet Baby Girl" (bum bum bummm!) I'm sure my singing is pretty terrible, but Lanie doesn't seem to mind. Maybe she thinks her daddy is hopelessly strange, and maybe she realizes that she just makes me happy.
Grace and peace,
BMH

2 comments:

  1. Aw. Love makes us sing!
    She's adorable, Hofmans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joella! Tess and I just can't hardly believe how much we love her already, and we love her a little bit more each day.

      Delete