Monday, October 24, 2016

#11 I've Got Too Much Time on My Hands

I'm not in school anymore! I realize school has been going on for a couple months now, but I think about that everyone once in a while. One of the things that's been weirdest for me to adjust to is the amount of time I have. Not that I have a ton of free time. I'm definitely staying busy. But for the first time in my life, I really don't know when my time here will end. Up until now, I've always had a pretty clear expiration date: this many years of school, so many weeks at an internship, etc. But here in Kanawha, I'm not a fixed deadline. There's no end in sight. I suppose I probably won't be here forever, but I have no plans of leaving. I'm in this for the long haul, and that's a good feeling. I'm happy to be here with time on my hands.

But having time on my hands takes some getting used to. I'm used to having to get things done quickly. I'm used to deadlines and due dates. As a pastor, I definitely have to do things in a punctual manner. Each week I have to get a sermon ready for Sunday. There are regular visits I need to make. Council meetings come every month, and there are responsibilites I need to take care of between meetings. But a lot of my work is less time-constrained. I'm hoping to help church members grow in faith and to equip them for works of service. I'm trying to build relationships in my community. I'm working to teach local youth a little more about what it means to be Christian. These things take time. Sometimes I find myself wondering if I'm making any progress or worried that I've missed an opportunity, but that's really not a helpful perspective. I do need to be faithful about building relationships and witnessing and serving, but there's no need to rush. I've got time on my hands. What's more, God is the one who brings church growth and spiritual growth and who leads people to Christ. Outcomes aren't something I need to worry about; diligence and Christlikeness are what I need. Now if only I could totally get that through my head.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment