Thursday, July 4, 2024

#308 Motives

Sometimes, when I want to make myself squirm, I ask myself this question: Do I check in with my church members because I love them or because it's my job to check in on them? Honestly, it's normally a mixture of love and duty. At times love has the upper hand, and at times love isn't as much of a factor. Thankfully, there isn't much difference on church members' end (unless my attitude makes it very obvious that I'm only doing this because I know I should). However, I think the question is important because it gets to my motives. Doing things because I'm supposed to isn't inherently bad. In fact God uses duty to train us to do what's good and right: I've noticed myself come to love others more easily the more I practice caring for them. That being said, it is better for me to do things because I want to. God tells His people to "do everything in love" (1 Corinthians 16:14). We believe that truly good works are done not for selfish reasons or out of obligation but for God's glory.

So every once in a while it's good to check my motives. It's good for me to show care for others. Hopefully I do that even if I don't necessarily want to. But I hope, with the help of the Holy Spirit to grow in showing care for others because I truly care for them, because I want to honor God by imitating His care for us. God's work of leading me away from sin and making me holy doesn't end with my external behavior; it needs to get all the way to my heart.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment