Monday, July 31, 2023

#303 Preaching Words

As I prepare and preach sermons, I try to be consistent in prayer. I ask God to guide me to properly understand the text. I ask Him to help me explain each passage well, tie it to Christ Jesus, and connect it with the lives of His people today. Generally, I'm praying at the beginning of my study, as I transition into writing, and on Sunday morning before I deliver the sermon. Over the years I've landed on a consistent set of words for how I'd like to preach. I ask God to help me preach His Word
  • Faithfully - This is the biggest one for me. I want to understand what God is saying through the Bible passage and communicate that truth to God's people. I don't want to stray into theological errors or start bringing my own ideas into the text. I hope my preaching accurately reflects who God is and what He has done for His people and what that means for our identity and lifestyle.
  • Effectively - I want to use relatable words and images. I want to show how God's Word relates to the joys and struggles of our everyday lives. I hope and pray that those who hear me preach feel like they and their concerns are being addressed. God's Word should affect us and draw us closer to Him.
  • Boldly - I want my preaching to be first and foremost about the good news of Jesus Christ. I want to be honest about our need for salvation and the fact that only Christ can save us. Where it's necessary, I want to expose the lies we and others tell us. I want to point out where God is at work in our world. I want to proclaim His message, even when it's not what I or others want to hear.
  • Enthusiastically - I want to proclaim Jesus with joy and conviction. Our God is awesome. His love is extravagant. His faithfulness is overwhelming. No one can compare with His holiness, His righteousness, His patience, His wisdom. I want God's people to be excited about God.
  • Creatively - This is least important one, but I want to express God's truth in my own words. I want to communicate something different with each different sermon. Sometimes even hearing a familiar truth in a new way helps us unlock better and fresher understanding.
That list is intimidating. I can't do that on my own, and I know I have lots of room to grow. So not only will I keep practicing, but I'll keep praying. May God be glorified when I preach.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment