Monday, May 4, 2020

#174 Confessions of a Sleepy Dad

Obvious statement alert: parenting is tiring. Right now Tess and I have a three-year-old, Lanie, who almost never runs out of energy, and a nearly three-month-old, Mia, who still wakes up pretty often at night. Sometimes I'm stressed about work and Lanie is whining, and I think that running away and hiding from her for about an hour sounds pretty good. Or I'll be half-asleep and Mia will just keep crying instead of giving in and falling asleep, and I'll    practically be able to feel the warmth of my sheets and comforter.

But then Mia will calm down after I finish changing her diaper and smile at me for a few moments. Or Lanie will climb into my lap with a book and snuggle up to me while we read. Then suddenly the weight of the exhaustion and the frustration melts away. I remember just how much I love my girls. Here's another obvious statement: parenting is worthwhile.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment