Monday, October 14, 2019

#146 First Date

Ten years ago tonight Tess and I had our first "date." You could quibble about me calling this a date because I hadn't officially asked Tess out at this point, but that was just a matter of me not finding the right opportunity yet. Tess and I were acting like we were dating at this point. On October 14, 2009, Tess and I went to watch Up in the lobby of our college's chapel. In the weeks leading up to that night we'd gotten to know each other pretty well through late night conversations. The chemistry was clearly there. We found some space on the floor and settled into the semi-darkness with a shared blanket. Honestly I'm surprised I was able to catch the plot of the movie. I spent the whole night daydreaming about Tess and desperately trying to work up the courage to hold her hand. (I only got as far as overlapping pinkies. What can I say? I'm a coward.) Later that night, back in the upstairs lobby of our dorm, Tess fell asleep on my shoulder. That was it. From that night on, we were a couple. It was like magic. After we finally said good night, I went and wrote in my journal, clearly head-over-heels. Ten years later, everything isn't brand new anymore, but I think it's safe to say I'm still clearly head-over-heels.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment