Monday, February 11, 2019

#118 Brian the Giant Hamster

This morning I ran on my treadmill. I HATE running on the treadmill. But I have one because some church members wanted to get rid of theirs, and they offered it to me. It was a lovely gift. I'm really grateful that they thought of me. Road conditions are pretty dangerous in Kanawha through much of the winter, so running outside isn't a good option. I'm really blessed to have the opportunity to run safely indoors in my own home. And lately I think I've been a little more stressed than normal, so exercise is good.

So this morning I talked myself into a run. It was brutal. Running and running and running without going anywhere makes me feel like an overgrown hamster. I hate it. I've got things set up so I can watch TV while I run, but it only helps so much. The run still seems to last forever. I miss the wind on my face, the slowly changing scenery. The whir of the belt and the echo of my footfalls burrow too deep in my brain. With about a mile to go, I'm losing it. I've got to slow down the pace. I stumble through the rest of the run. I'm sweaty; I'm thirsty; I'm beat. It's almost enough to make me wonder why I do this. But then that good old feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment sets in. Treadmill running is horrible, but it's still running, so I guess it's worth it. [Sigh.] I better prepare myself to get into hamster mode again.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment