Monday, August 28, 2017

#51 Daddy's Little Assistant

Tess started teaching last week, which means Lanie and I have extra time together while Mommy's at work. Sometimes I decide to push my work back until after Lanie goes to bed so that we have more time to laugh and play and explore together. Other times she sits next to me as I type and schemes to pull my power cord out when I'm not looking. Occasionally, Lanie comes with me when I make my pastoral visits.

Now visiting is one of my favorite parts of my job. As I wrote about last week, I love to talk with other people and share in their lives in a small way. Visiting is one of the things I'm trained to do. I've invested a lot of effort in improving my ability to listen well, to understand others and help them feel understood, to share Scripture wisely, and to pray with and for others. Almost every time I visit, I come home reflecting on the previous conversation and critiquing myself, searching for ways to be a better pastor. Slowly but surely, I think I'm progressing.

Lanie, on the other hand, doesn't prepare for or reflect on visits. She doesn't worry about whether she's saying too little or too much. She doesn't feel bad if her mind starts to wander in the midst of a conversation. Honestly, I'm not sure how much she even pays attention to the person we're visiting. She seems much more focused on trying to explore all the new and different things in someone else's home. And yet, Lanie always brightens others' days and makes them feel valued. When Lanie and I leave, church members thank me for bringing her to visit. Despite my advantages in training and experience, Lanie seems to be the better visitor. I just can't compete with a baby. So I think I'd better watch out. At this rate, she'll make my whole job obsolete by Christmas.

Grace and peace,
BMH

No comments:

Post a Comment