Monday, December 5, 2016

#17 The Baby Is Coming! The Baby Is Coming!

We are less than seven weeks from Tessa's due date. Bit by bit, Baby Girl is taking over my available brain space. I talk about the baby with pretty much everybody I see. We talk about how Tess is doing and how I'm getting ready for the baby to come. I've assembled a bunch of different things by now: a crib, a swing, a Pack 'n Play, a stroller, a high chair. I've carried a whole bunch of outfits and blankets and other gifts up the stairs to her room. I've helped paint the nursery, and I've moved the furniture in. Those are definitely things that help Tess and I prepare for Baby Girl's arrival, but I still always feel a little ridiculous when I talk about getting ready for the baby to come. How do you get ready for something that will change your life forever? How do you prepare yourself for something you've never experienced? I don't have good answers to those questions, so I just keep getting more excited and trying to make sure we have all of the things ready that we'll need the most.

There's a lot I just don't know yet, but one there's one thing I'm pretty sure of. Baby Girl is going to dominate my attention and my affection. I think I'm going to get a lot less helpful to everyone outside of my household. The process has probably already begun. I have no doubt that once Baby Girl makes her appearance, she'll have me wrapped around her little fingers. There's nothing I can do about that. So if you need or want me to do something for you, you better get around to asking pretty quickly. After Baby Girl's birth I think I'm going to switch into full-on Daddy mode. At that point you're probably going to need to convince Baby Girl that I should do whatever you want me to do. She'll be the boss then. And I'm sure I'll love it.

Grace and peace,
BMH

1 comment: