Monday, August 15, 2016

#2 Judgment Calls

Let's talk about opinions. I know I'm not the only one writing about opinions because I've read a couple articles on this theme. (Here's an example from Screen Rant.) So I'm not breaking new ground here, but this topic has been on my mind for a few months now. I'm writing this post to help me express something that I've been thinking about for a while but also to see if anyone else has any insights to further the conversation. Here goes.

Back in March, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was released in theaters. Film reviewers, for the most part, were critical of the film, and the majority of reviews were negative. As you'd expect, a lot of people who went to see the movie liked it, and a lot of others didn't. (Full disclosure: I really, really enjoyed BvS. I would say there's only one superhero movie that's been released in my lifetime that I enjoyed more. In fact, Tess bought me the "Ultimate Edition" of this movie as an anniversary present.) Because I was so interested in the film, I read a lot of articles about it after its release. I found a lot of discussion about whether the critics were right or wrong. Was the film good or bad? And, at a more individual level, were your feelings about the film correct or incorrect?

As I've reflected on this, I'm left with this question: what kind of questions are those? To put it another way, where did we get the idea that opinions are right or wrong? When did we forget how opinions work? Speaking in gross generalizations here, Americans are an individualistic bunch. So how come we're so concerned about what others think about movies? (or TV shows? or music? or some other art form?) Why do we think that people who enjoy different things than we do or people who--gasp!--don't enjoy the things we do are somehow wrong?

Before we go on, it's confession time. I'm just as guilty of this as others. I would love to tell what the best Star Wars movie is. I will probably tell you that you're wrong if you tell me that you don't like Lord of the Rings. And I am prepared to go on thirty-minute tirades about why Superman is the better than other superheroes or about why DC movies are better than Marvel movies. (Just ask Tess. She's heard some of my frustrated ramblings.) But that kind of talk is foolish. I don't want to do that anymore. I'm trying to reform, to move on to saying things like "My favorite book in The Chronicles of Narnia is The Silver Chair" and "I prefer The End Is Not the End to other House of Heroes albums." I tried to be very careful about how I talked about BvS above, and I hope that others will hold me accountable if I slip into right/wrong talk about opinions in the future.

Now that my confession is complete, I have one more thing that I'm wondering about. We live in a day and age that likes to say that there are no absolute truths, especially when it comes to things like morality and religion. And yet, it seems to be absolute truth that, for example, Captain America: Civil War is a good movie, while Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is a bad movie. But not even all film critics agree on these movies. Neither has 100% positive or negative reviews. As a Christian, I believe that there are absolute truths in the areas of religion and ethics. I believe that there is a God who is the Creator of heaven and earth and who has univeral standards for how humans should live. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He is the only way for humans to come to God. I believe there is one God in three persons. But I don't think there are absolutes in the area of art. Since I believe that one God created flamingos and tigers and puffer fish and everything else and that He also created humans as men and women and--to quote the Sunday school song--"red and yellow, black and white," I believe that God rejoices in diversity and multiplicity. I think it only makes sense that we should have different tastes in movies and music and stories and art. I think God delights in our creativity and uniqueness. I believe God reveals Himself and His beauty in all kinds of things and in ways we wouldn't necessarlily expect. In the end, I think we've got our absolutes mixed up. We look for absolutes where we shouldn't and don't look for absolutes where we should.

So if you also liked Batman v Superman, let's talk about that. And if you didn't like BvS but liked some other movie instead, please tell me about what you like about that other movie. I hope we have the courage to make up our own opinions when it comes to art, instead of worrying about what others think. Let's stop trying to be the same. Let's stop trying to have the "right" opinions. I don't think that makes sense, anyway.

Grace and peace,
BMH

2 comments:

  1. Love the positive slant. I enjoy hearing about things (movies) people like and the reasons rather than what they dislike. Guess it comes back to my Mom drumming into my head, "If you can't say something good, don't say anything at all."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. It's definitely a perspective shift to think about why we like the things we like instead of (or at least before) focusing on the things we dislike.

      Delete